People everywhere celebrated when electricity was invented. Finally, they didn’t have to light candles when the sun went down and they could greatly reduce the risk of their house going up in flames because of an unattended candle, or a candle that was knocked over by a small child or family pet.
Electricity is as amazing and appreciated as indoor plumbing, but unlike plumbing, it can pose some serious risks inside the home. When something goes wrong, sparks can fly and your couch, laundry room, or kitchen can burn to the ground. In light of electrical hazards in the home, here are our home electrical safety tips:
1. Don’t Ignore a Tripped Breaker
If you reset the breaker and it trips immediately afterward, there’s an electrical problem. Sure, sometimes too many appliances overloaded the electrical circuit and that’s all it is, but if the breaker keeps tripping every time it’s reset, there’s probably a serious electrical problem. If you keep pressing that breaker, you risk an electrical fire.
2. Know When to Call the Fire Department
If you have your doubts about fighting a fire, you should get everyone out of the house as and call 911 when you get outside. If you feel confident you can fight the fire, go on and fight it but don’t let the fire get so bad that it blocks your exit. If you sense that the fire is going to block your safe exit, it’s time to get out – fast.
3. Do NOT Pour Water on an Electrical Fire
This advice may go against your natural instincts, but you must heed it. Remember, water conducts electricity, so if you throw a bucket of water on the fire, it can actually act a lot like gasoline – it can make the fire bigger. What should you do instead? Use a fire extinguisher, which is made of special chemicals that put out the flames.
4. Never Ignore a Hot Electrical Panel
Faulty electrical panels were known to be installed in new homes as recent as the 1990s. Some of the brands that are not manufactured anymore include: ITE Pushmatic, Zinsco, GTE/Sylvania, and Federal Pacific – each of these are known to pose electrical hazards in homes and can cause an electrical fire. If your electrical panel is ever hot to the touch, have it checked out by a professional electrician immediately.
Related: Safety Tips for Space Heaters
Do you need assistance with a home electrical issue? To get safe, secure assistance from a Cleveland electrical technician, contact Green Home Solutions for a FREE estimate.