In today’s modern era, electricity is considered an “essential” to everyday life. Without electricity, our desktop computers wouldn’t run, we wouldn’t be able to watch TV, food would spoil in the refrigerator, we would have to use candles instead of lights, we’d have to wash our dishes by hand, and we'd have to forget all about using garbage disposals.
While electrical problems are a major inconvenience at home, they are an even bigger inconvenience when it comes to schools, businesses, hospitals, and law enforcement agencies, not to mention banks!
While everybody benefits from electricity, few homeowners and employees deal with it directly. For decades, electricity has been viewed as a serious hazard – in the home and in the workplace. Under the right conditions, electrical problems can lead to fires, explosions, burns, and electric shock. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 1999 alone, “278 workers died from electrocutions at work, accounting for almost 5 percent of all on-the-job fatalities that year.”
Since people are so accustomed to electricity, perhaps that’s the reason why they forget to think about electrical hazards. Often, we don’t think about the hazards, we forget that they can be life-threatening, and we fail to treat electricity with caution and respect.
What Causes Electrical Shocks?
We must realize that the human body can sometimes be a conductor of electricity. When a person’s body accidentally becomes a part of the electrical circuit, he or she can experience electrical shock. With an electrical shock, the electricity flows through the person’s body, completing the current path.
A shock can occur when a person comes into contact with:
- A metal part that is energized
- A different conductor that has a current
- The two wires from an electrical circuit
- The ground, along with one wire from an energized circuit
Should you be concerned about electrical hazards in your home? Absolutely. If someone in your household receives an electrical shock, the effects range from a tingling sensation, to electrical burns, respiratory arrest, and cardiac arrest where death is probable.
If you are living in an older home, or a home with shoddy wiring, you don’t want to ignore the problem because everyone in your household is at risk. While you may be tempted to handle it on your own, it is not a DIY project because you would be putting yourself in harm’s way.
Contact Green Home Solutions at (216) 220-4527 to schedule a service call with one of our Cleveland electrical technicians.