Now that spring has officially arrived, soon Cleveland will be warming up to the point where it’s time to use our air conditioners. When it comes to keeping your house at a comfortable temperature, you may be hesitant to use the AC liberally for fear of having a high electric bill. Fortunately, there are other ways to cool your house that are not strictly limited to air conditioning.
When the temperatures inside get so warm that you have difficulty sleeping at night, your first thought may be to crank on the air conditioner. However, there are additional things that you can do to cool your house down while using less energy. When you combine the following items, you can maximize the cooling effect while minimizing the costs, even in the hottest climates:
Tips to Keep Your Home Cool
- In the summer, set your thermostat as high as is comfortable.
- In some rooms, a well-placed fan is sufficient for maintaining comfort.
- During the summer, raise the thermostat while you’re sleeping and away from home.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding cleaning and replacing filters on air conditioners.
- If you turn on an exhaust fan in the kitchen or bathroom, don’t let it run for more than 20 minutes.
- When replacing exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom, replace them with low-noise, high-efficiency models.
- During the summer, close the window coverings during the day. This will block the sun’s heat and keep the house cooler.
- When you buy new cooling equipment, be sure to purchase the energy-efficient versions.
- When purchasing new products, look for the Energy Star.
- If you have an old air conditioner, consider replacing it with a new model, which will maximize energy efficiency and save you on your monthly energy costs.
At Green Home Solutions, we can handle all of our heating and cooling needs, from air conditioning repair and installation to energy-efficient thermostats, and insulation. If you are interested in maximizing your home’s energy usage, we also provide home energy audits. Contact us today to schedule a free estimate!